Christmas Decorations and hazards in the office –
It’s that time of year when many of you may have already decorated the office to get into the festive mood. However, these innocent decorations can also pose a major threat to you and your business. With numerous portable heaters and Christmas lights and decorations draped throughout the office, the risk of a fire can increase tenfold.
Did you know?
30% of all businesses that have a major fire go out of business within a year. 70% fail within five years* partly due insufficient or lack of backup in place. Also, some businesses only backup on site, if there was an office fire it is likely that the on-site backup would be destroyed or damaged by the fire, leaving the business unable to access their precious data.
Do you have the necessary backup in place?
Need help? Speak to the experts today – 01444 250404 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay safe this Christmas
We’ve put together a few tips on preventing fires in both the workplace and at home:
- Check the fuses are the right type (see the box for the maximum size of fuse you should use)
- If bulbs blow, replace them
- Check for frayed wires – this is a common cause of an electrical fires
- Don’t leave fairy lights on when you leave the office/home or when no-one is in attendance
- Don’t let the bulbs touch anything that can burn easily, like paper
- Don’t overload sockets
- Beware of trailing cables and wires in the rush to connect new gadgets and appliances
- Use low heat LED lights
- Decorations made of light tissue paper or cardboard burn easily
- Don’t attach them to lights or heaters
- If you have a real Christmas Tree be sure to water it regularly. They can dry out very quickly causing them to ignite and propagate fire rapidly. The clip below shows just how quickly the flames can spread.See how quickly a Christmas tree ignites
e-mpower.IT are based in Burgess Hill, West Sussex and offer IT support and guidance for small to medium sized businesses in the South East of England.
We are the specialists in handling your IT needs including: antivirus, software, hardware, backup, Cloud services and more.